Note: This recipe is from www.cooks.com I basically followed this recipe…weeellllll, w/some Ally tweaks…I mean isn’t that what “Bohemian Bold” cooking is all about—being unique, cooking outside the lines, defining yourself with your special twists!
To the original recipe, I added more lemon zest, then I also added ricotta cheese to it. I reduced by ¼ cup the sugar, since I was using sweetened coconut. The original recipe said that ground nuts and coconut (no amounts given) were ‘optional,’ so I did BOTH of them! Cuz I love nuts and coconut!
This cake is not as moist and dense as pound cake, but it reminds me of pound cake. You can add your own toppings to it, which are endless. I used fresh raspberries cooked in some amaretta and butter. Next time, I’d top the berries with chiffonade fresh basil!
Preheat oven to 350.
What you need:
1 ¾ cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter softened
1 cup milk
1/3 cup ricotta
3 tsp baking powder
1 ½ cups sugar
¾ tsp vanilla
4 eggs, beatean
1 cup ground/chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
What you do:
- Cream butter and sugar then add dry ingredients a third at a time and blending.
- Add milk and blend, add ricotta and blend, add lemon rind and blend. Lastly add beaten eggs and blend.
- Fold in and blend well the nuts and coconut into the batter.
- Use a springform pan if you have it. Coat with cooking spray. Cover the top loosely w/a piece of foil and bake at 350 for about 40-45 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10-15 minutes (to golden brown the top) or until a toothpick comes clean from the center. (Pssst…I’d also say cook this in a cast iron skillet!! Coat with cooking spray first!!)
- Let rest for 20+ minutes. Do not frost. Sprinkle with powdered sugar (optional). Or use some fresh berries!